Scientists Night – 2011
Written by: Meirav Seifert
Broaden your horizons on Scientists Night, as universities and museums offer free lectures, workshops, tours and exhibits across the country.
Scientists Night will be held on September 22, 2011. The event will take place simultaneously in thirteen institutions, from the Israel Oceanographic Institute in Eilat to Migal in Kiryat Shmona. In 2010, the events, focused primarily on science, attracted over 26,000 visitors. This year attendance is expected to be bigger than ever, as the project broadens its horizon to include programs in music, arts and the humanities, as well as activities aimed at kids. All events are free of charge.
The science museum Madatech in Haifa and the Oceanographic Institute will host an attempt to break a world record with a mass experiment in crystal growing (19:00) – help out! The experiment will recreate that conducted by Ilan Ramon, first Israeli astronaut. Ilan Ramon was part of the crew of Space Shuttle Columbia that was destroyed upon atmosphere re-entry in 2003.
Tel Aviv University too is offering a wide range of activities, including yoga lessons and viewing of student films. Lectures planned span hot-button issues (“Nuclear energy after Fukushima”, Prof. Uzi Even, 18:00) and sensitive topics (“Who denies the Holocaust, why and how”, Prof. Dina Porat, 20:00). The Anglophone community has not been left out, and the university is offering a nine lecture series in English.
Expand your knowledge in one of thirteen locations on Thursday, September 22:
• Ben Gurion University, Be’er Sheva, 17:00-22:00
• Bar-Ilan University, Ramat Gan, 17:00-22:00
• University of Haifa, 17:00-22:00
• Tel Aviv University, 17:00-24:00 Partial English program & Full Hebrew Program
• The Hebrew University- Edmond J. Safra campus (Givat Ram), Jerusalem, 17:00-23:00
• The Israel Oceanographic Institute, Eilat, 16:30-20:30
• Madatech Museum, Haifa, 17:00-22:00
• The Bloomfield Science Museum, Jerusalem, 17:00-24:00
• Kikar Zahal, Kiryat Shmona (hosted by Migal- Galilee Technology Center), 17:00-21:00
• Davidson Institute, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, 17:00-22:00
• Ort Braude College, Karmiel, 17:00-22:00
• Shamoon College of Engineering, Be’er Sheva, 17:00-21:30
• Kiryat Yam Science Park, 17:00- unspecified